Egypt is a country with a great heritage of art, architecture and culture. It is the country, which has given us the pyramids, the Sphinx and thousands of years of rich history. If you are planning to travel to Egypt anytime soon, there are a few pointers that you should remember. They are as follows:
1. If you are travelling to Egypt for the first time, be prepared for something of a culture shock. It is very possible that you may not have visited a country like this ever before!
2. This country is a Muslim one and as a visitor, it is only right that you respect the people’s faith. Homosexuality is illegal and things like kissing or other public displays of affection are things you should rather not do in public. You don’t want to be frowned upon by the residents, do you? It is a lot better to have a more conservative attitude while you are in the country.
3. Read up as much as possible before you go travelling to Egypt, because that is the best way to know the country. Though books like Rough Guide and Lonely Planet are good, it is a good idea to read as much as you can on the internet as well.
4. If you are someone who is not travelling with a travel company, it is very important that you inform the hotel you are staying at about your plans. In case you get lost it is always a good idea to keep the phone number of the hotel handy so that you can ask for help.
5. It is very important that you eat in recommended places only. Eat out only in restaurants that serve healthy and clean food and those that maintain proper hygiene. You don’t want to get a stomach upset while you are travelling, right?
6. Drinking water in Egypt can actually be dangerous. If you are someone who lives in a country where people drink water straight from the tap, don’t do it in Egypt. Just buy bottled water. It is good and cheap.
7. It is a much better idea to travel in a group in this country for a variety of reasons. We are not asking you to buy package tours from travel companies. What we are saying is that travelling with a group of people (something which can be organized in your own country or after you land in Egypt) is much safer and a whole lot more fun.
8. Like in all countries, in Egypt too you will come across people who want to rip off tourists. It is normal to be charged more just because you are a foreigner. So be prepared to bargain a lot for everything!
9. Get to know other tourists staying in your hotel. They will usually have good ideas for places to eat and things to do and not to do. Also, you can arrange to travel with them as a group while in the country.
Travelling to Egypt is going to be a fun experience for you.